We’re already halfway through the 31 Days of Decluttering challenge! Can you believe it? These two weeks have flown by for me, and I hope they have or you too. Today we’ll be finishing up with things we wear and decluttering our shoes.
I have to be honest and say this is kind of a freebie day for me. I used to have a large and very beautiful shoe collection. I had high heels in every height, color, and style you could imagine… and then I had kids.
One very surprising side effect of pregnancy and weight gain was that my feet grew and all of my pretty shoes were suddenly too small. It was so disappointing! I eventually got rid of them all so my current shoe collect consists of only four pairs, and that’s it. I have tennis shoes, two pairs of flip flops, and one pair of black formal shoes.
I do hope to get more shoes once I reach my goal weight, but for now just four pairs will have to do.
Tips for decluttering shoes:
- Gather all of your shoes together in one space and sort by type. You may want to sort by formal and informal, heels and flats, or color. Whatever makes sense for you and your collection will work.
- Discard any that are broken, look old and worn out, and are beyond repair.
- Consider how much space you have for shoes and how often you wear the different types. If you rarely wear formal shoes (or some other type), you could probably get by with only a couple pairs.
- Get rid of any shoes you don’t wear often. If it’s been over 12-18 months and you haven’t worn them, you probably never will. Give yourself extra space and less to dust and keep track of by letting those pairs go.
- Put shoes of similar styles away together.
Is today a freebie day for you too or are you going to be going through a mountain of shoes?
Click here to join the Declutterathon facebook group and get support from over 2,200 other declutterathoners!