It’s day 4 of the 31 Days of Decluttering, and we’re staying in the kitchen to tackle our refrigerators.
We usually do our big grocery shopping trip for the week on Saturday or Sunday so today seemed like the perfect day (for me at least) to give the fridge a quick wipe down, get rid of anything that’s expired, and refill it with new stuff for the week.
When I’m not on top of our meal planning or when I get bogged down with things during a busy week, our fridge can sometimes end up being the place good food goes to die. Nothing is more frustrating than paying for meals twice because the food we should’ve eaten has already gone bad. It can be a huge waste of money and time.
Thankfully, I’ve found that the more I meal plan (and resist the temptation of grabbing food on the go), the less wasted food we end up having. I’ve also found that keeping track of what’s in our fridge can really cut down on waste as well. I recently shared my newest free meal planning printables, and I have a refrigerator inventory printable too. Both can be found in my newest printable set, This Organized Life.
Tips for cleaning the fridge:
- Remove everything and wipe down the interior
- Toss anything that is rotten or has expired
- Only put food back into the fridge that you’re actually going to eat.
- Carefully check expiration dates and the quality of items before returning them to your fridge. If there’s a full bottle of something but no one’s using it, either toss it or find someone to give it to.
- The only items you can keep that you don’t plan to consume are those that are kept for guests if those guests will be coming over before the item’s expired. (As much as I try, I just can’t get into carbonated water. We have a few bottles we’ll be keeping for guests who will be coming over in a few weeks. Other than that, if we don’t eat it, it goes.)
As always, if your fridge is in great shape or was just cleaned, move on to a space that does need to be done. Set a timer for 15-30 minutes and enjoy being ahead of the game!
I’m almost scared to ask this time, but what’s the grossest thing you found in your fridge or the oldest expiration date? Are any of your foods masquerading as science experiments? (We can pretend it’s for Halloween!) 😉
Click here to join the Declutterathon facebook group and get support from over 2,200 other declutterathoners!
Love free printables?
Join my newsletter for instant access to my entire collection of free printables. You'll receive a link and password after confirming your e-mail address.