It’s day 9 of the 31 Days of Decluttering, and we’re staying in our bathrooms. We’re going to be cleaning off any flat surfaces (counters, shower seats or cubbies, etc.) and any other storage space that gathers clutter like drawers.
Much like my kitchen counters, my bathroom counters are clutter magnets. Sometimes I look around and seriously wonder if I’m physically incapable of just putting things away after I use them. It’s ridiculous. My bathroom is sooooo bad that I really can’t even share before pictures of it (sadly, it’s not that beautiful room above). It’s too embarrassing… and that’s saying something because I shared pics of my bedroom!!
Tips for decluttering the bathroom:
- Clear all counters. You can throw stuff away as you remove it or just move everything to a new space and declutter from there. Whatever works best and will make things easiest for you.
- Clean counters and mirrors (and maybe the sink too if you’re really on a roll!).
- I was initially going to make today just about the vanities, but I think it’s important to tackle our drawers/the spaces where these things should go at the same time. If we only do our vanities without working on the drawers and other spaces, we won’t be able to give our belongings their permanent homes so drawers should be emptied and wiped out too. If you’re already thinking, “This is going to take much longer that 15 minutes” or feeling overwhelmed, maybe just focus on one drawer or clearing a portion of your counter. Remember, our goal is just to do what we can not to always complete every task perfectly. Progress not perfection! 🙂
- Find a home for everything and keep only what you are using. That means if you’ve had it for years but it’s barely used and always choose to use something else instead… it goes. (Yes, I’m mainly talking to myself there! lol)
- Organize like things together.
When you’re finished, I’d love to know what the strangest, most out of place thing you’ve found is. Did you find something and think, “How in the world did this end up in my bathroom?!” Personally, I blame the kids. They drag stuff all over our house so I’m always finding things in the strangest of places.
I would love for you to share your before and after pics and experiences in our Declutterathon facebook group (it’s private so only other members can see what you post), and to get daily reminders to each day’s challenge be sure to sign up below! See you tomorrow 🙂
Love free printables?
Join my newsletter for instant access to my entire collection of free printables. You'll receive a link and password after confirming your e-mail address.